CxO: Meet the ‘Keep me out of prison’ Officer
Corporate governance should be at the top of the boardroom agenda. A focus on the customer is meaningless if the organisation is spinning out of control. It would appear that many CEOs and their colleagues do not make the connection between corporate governance and IT governance.
Here is a quick lesson:
- Corporate governance requires you to demonstrate that you are in control of the organisation.
- These controls are built into the business processes.
- These processes typically have a significant new technology contribution.
- The quality of your new technology investment is proportional to the quality of your IT governance.
- Your IT governance is the responsibility of your CIO.
QED The quality of your corporate governance is determined by the quality of your CIO.
A poor CIO could result in the loss of your liberty. As will a good CIO who is unable to communicate with you because they are not part of your leadership team.
If you don’t have a CIO in the executive team, it is perhaps time to get one.